Wednesday, August 17, 2011

SAN JUAN COUNTY FAIR!

YEEEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAA!

Caught the 650am ferry over to Friday Harbor.  Beautiful morning, clear skies with just a hint of fog:

View from my ferry seat.

Beautiful Madronas trees with their red trunks.

After stopping at Shaw and Orcas Islands, we docked at Friday Harbor at 815am.  It was a nice 5 block walk to the fairgrounds that was already bustling with farmers, livestock people and I saw the BIGGEST head of cabbage I've ever seen, as well as a REALLY big zucchini!

This cabbage is bigger than a basketball! 

Check the size of this zucchini in relation to my iPhone!

My main reason for going to the County Fair was to see the equestrian events and the livestock.  Here, the halter classes were going on.

This was a beautiful animal and was presented well.

I then walked over to look at the sheet, goats and cattle.  Many different varieties and the barns were busy, busy, busy with the handlers getting ready for the judging to begin.

 Yeah, I'm cute.

 MY EARS, MY EARS!  WHERE ARE MY EARS???

 Baaaa...zzzzzzzzz.

 Huh?  You looking at me?

Mommmmmyyyyyyyy!

Then I walked over to see the cute little bunnies!  BIG mistake!

 Baby bunnies, 7 weeks old!

 Uh-oh, love at first sight!

The babies with their Mommy.

Don't you want to take me home?

The moment we've all been waiting for....GUINEA PIGS!

 Handsome little boar!

A quick snack before the judges arrive!

Obviously, this was the barn were most of the kids were, and Thank God I wasn't able to hold one!

Later, I walked around the fairgrounds:  it reminded me of a combination of the Hawaii State Farm Fair and the Punahou Carnival!

Tents with vendors of all kinds. 

 The "midway" of carnival rides.

 The art gallery!  

Check out this residential wind turbine!
www.windworksenergy.net
info@windworksenergy.net

After spending almost 3 hours at the fair, I decided to walk back to Friday Harbor to get something to eat.  On the way back, I came across these two really cute houses!

 This one is actually an art gallery.

I like this one!

After grabbing a delish cheeseburger at Rocky Bay Cafe', I went to get the 150pm ferry back to Lopez.

Busy Friday Harbor. 

Wait, where's my spear? 
This guy was at least 10" across!

 The Victoria Clipper, high-speed ferry that goes between Seattle and Victoria BC.

 Boats to the left of me...

 Boats to the right.

Can you say Gigantic?  Reference the zodiac in the foreground for size.
Is this the Bill Gates-mobile???

Hopped on the ferry and shot these photos:

Mount Baker, as we approached the Lopez ferry dock. 

And, the beautiful sailboat that does daily tours from Friday Harbor.

Busy day, saw a lot and now its time for a nap...

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Jan! Those bunnies were the best. You packed a lot into 3 hours. Were those FIGS (my fave) behind the zucchini? Looks like you are having a fine time in WA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful country. Tell me you put the bunny back, he'll only slow you down! :) Missing you at the beach. Aloha...

    ReplyDelete