Friday, July 6, 2012

A beautiful morning at Antioch Marina!

Photo says it all, this is what we woke to...

Gorgeous morning!


"Trim" tied up and looking good!


We left Antioch Marina as planned with the flood tide to take us up river,  9 am local time under a perfect morning sky and warming temps.  We were motorsailing along nicely at 4.5 kts several miles up stream,  Jan at the helm. full genoa looking good.  Paul statrted to take some "action shots."  Jan at the helm stuff,  different angles,  different views for the best light.  Some from the bow,  some from the stern,  some from mid-ship leaning way out to get the angle.  Leg up against the saftey cable...

SOOOO, as I was steering Trim, Paul grabbed my camera and went to the port side and leaned into the safety rail for the money shot, and as I turned to smile..... SPLASH!  

He fell over!  Oh SHIT!   Turns out the retaining pin broke in the top safety cable!  Man overboard... what would Logan do?   I  started pointing as Logan teaches, and pushed MOB (Man Over Board), (just kidding about the pointing and pressing the MOB button, but Logan's training went thru my mind) quickly put the boat into neutral/idle while we were still sailing at 4 knts and looked behind to see if he had grabbed onto the Zodiac dinghy.  I hear his voice "Jan! Jan!" 

He grabbed a rail wire on his way over the side and was now body surfing/dragging alongside the boat.   He says "put it in neutral and come over here and grab my leg."    I grab his foot that he had up on the rail and he pulled himself back aboard... soaked in shorts and t,  less his hat, glasses... and MY CAMERA.  All this while I'm trying to keep Trim from hitting the red channel marker on a pole about 30 yards away.

Oh no, I thought, no more photos, but at least Paul is not injured.  And,  we never really even slowed down,  like a good tack.

We obviously don't have any photos of THAT fiasco, but we are still laughing about it as we sit at the Riverboat Marina Pub looking over the delta and ordering me a new Sony camera on Amazon.com to be shipped to our marina in San Francisco.







1 comment: