Friday, July 12, 2013

Getting "Pink Cloud" from Oxnard, California to Ensenada, Mexico: Part 1

For the past seven months, "Pink Cloud," our 50' LOA staysail schooner has been waiting patiently for us to return to move her to warmer waters and her eventual remodel.

Paul flew to Oxnard on June 12th, and I went to visit my 92-year old dad in Arizona before catching up with Paul:

Dinner at the Olive Garden (my favorite!)
L to R:  Maria and nephew Owen (they are engaged), my Dad, me, my older sister Susan and her husband Bob. 


This is my Dad, who turned 92 in June.  He's one of the strongest people I know and when he tells you something, you better listen!
:o)
LOVE YOU, DAD!


I then flew to LAX to meet Paul on July 29th and we drove down the Pacific Coast Highway back to the boat:



Rincon, PCH Highway.

Lunch at "Marmalade," terrific food!
Heard that Mel Gibson eats there.


After getting settled in Pink, we then got ready for the crazy potluck/costume party at the Peninsula Yacht Marina!

 "Pablo," on the right with his water wings,  getting into the festivities!  
Lots of food (tons of food, actually) and the equal amount of libation!

The two of us in our costumes, which won us 2nd place and a $50 credit off our slip fees!
First place went to a couple of urchin divers who, dressed in hula skirts and tourist aloha shirts, did an impromptu ha'a.


The next night we drove north to Carpinteia to indulge ourselves at The Palms Hotel for a wonderful cook-your-own steak dinner!  A beautiful sunset greeted us and we rolled down the highway.

Totally gorgeous!

Palm trees at The Palms.


The next day, our pre-journey chores began...er, Jan's chores began:

Burning Pink's Coast Guard documented number into her hull beam.
Required by the Coast Guard to be in a permanent location that, if tampered with, would obviously damage the location of the number.

Polishing the stainless steel BBQ that's been in storage 'way too long.

And after stocking the galley, Paul bid "goodbye" to his faithful California car, his Ford Taurus station wagon "Little Bull":  

"Little Bull" went to a nice young man who will take good care of it!

The next day, at 6:00pm, we set off for Catalina Island!

 "Pull in the dock lines and we're off!"


Paul says, "we're going THAT way!"

 Exiting the Oxnard Harbor.


The Coasties...gotta love them!

 Outside a bit, we passed my first-ever-seen oil rig...there's another one in the background.

We then noticed lots of "aku birds" over the water on our starboard side, and....
DOLPHINS!

 On the port side...


...and on the starboard side!
Quick little buggers, I was focusing on NOT dropping my iPhone in the water!

Jan's preferred steering location.


Photographing the sunset dolphins.


Beautiful sunset.


Yee-haw, loving it.


And then...I got seasick.  Thought I'd try going without my Transderm-Scope patch, but...yeah.  So in desperation I put it on and all it did was put me to sleep.  

I slept the night away while Paul motored the whole way (and the whole night, which he kept reminding me of) to Catalina Island, and he woke me when we were a couple of miles off.  

Note to self:  put the patch on the night before you depart on a long sailing journey.
:o)




No comments:

Post a Comment