Friday, November 4, 2011

Jan Rappels Down the Sheraton Waikiki...

...31 stories/315 feet from rootfop to RumFire lanai!

THANK YOU to Logan for setting this up for me!  It was SO amazing and such a rush!  The weird thing was that I was so unusually calm and peaceful before and during, but I got so excited after my feet touched the ground!  Well, OK my palms were clammy but my heart wasn't pounding...

All geared-up. 
I got my 6 carabiners, helmet, harness, radio, gloves, my "gold thing" and my "blue thing."
Safety first, these guys are first-class.

But before we could even take the elevator to the roof, we went thru a training course on how each piece of equipment works, and then we rappelled down one story of the Sheraton by the koi pond.

Then I took the elevator up with one of the instructors...gulp.

The view from the roof-top, 31 stories up. 
I even saw a large turtle!

 Making sure I'm all locked-in.  Two lines, one that I control (thus the "blue thing") and the other is a safety that acts like a seat belt in that it catches if there's a sudden drop (the "gold thing").


Ok, I'm ready to climb over the railing... 

Don't you love my gloves?  And seriously, I wasn't nervous, I was going over what to do when I reached the lip I had to go underneath...

Here I go! 

OMG, THIS IS AWESOME!  That's the Infinity Pool and deck underneath me.

Getting ready to make the lip transition.  

After I got past that little bit of "wall" I had to drop my butt down and let my feet go.  At that point, I was freely hanging and controlled my descent with my "blue thing,"  Down below, there was a person controlling the blue line and also holding the orange line to keep them from getting tangled.

A photo to give you a perspective of what it was like and how tall the Sheraton Waikiki is!

As I let out a "WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOO....." I heard people at Rum Fire saying "OMG, LOOK!"

I was going pretty quick, I could smell the rope going thru the "blue thing."  When I got to the bottom, Adam (Logan's friend) said I was "flying!"

Thank you to everyone who helped me do this, I had a blast!  This event is a benefit for the Special Olympics and from what I was told, people donate $1000 to do this on Saturday.


Logan, I owe you 1000 waves!
:o)


2 comments: